87 pickup poor mpg, good torque

Recently bought this truck and had to have the carb "adjusted" to pass smog. However, the gas consumption is still awful. From what I can garner from this group, I wonder if its the 02 sensor or the catalytic converter. This is because there seems to be faint oder of something burning or that is hot or something as I am driving for a while and the engine gets warmed up. It is just a faint smell, though. That is why I suspect the catalytic conv.

In any case, I need to check this out. What is the procedure for this. My mechanic said ," if it passed smog in CA then your catalytic converter or 02 sensor are probably fine."

What should I ask a different mechanic to check for and what should they charge to check this.

Also, I am considering buying a decent carb but want to isolate the issues first.

I need someone I can trust to check it out. I am not sure what to expect or what to ask them. I can do work on the car but am getting to old and sore. Thanks

Reply to
dhamra