87 toyota pickup w/2.4 l engine

I need help... I thought I had a starter problem because every now and then the solenoid clicked but did not turn engine.I replaced the starter and solenoid and changed the battery cables...It worked a while and now its doing the same thing.Now It sounds like a hum and wont turn engine, then when its ready it will start the engine and it runs good all the time. Im a little scared because I dont know if this problem will cause me to be stranded. Any help is appreciated. Please e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net thanks, John

Reply to
Dad Larrabe lol

Well, you might first check out the new starter (rebuilt I assume) and make sure its all in good shape, not uncommon for a "rebuilt" starter to have some worn parts in them, may have tested fine when it was rebuilt, but could have been marginal. there are some tips on troubleshooting the source of starter-related problems on this page:

be the ignition switch, a starter relay (if you have one), badclutch-cancel or neutral-start switch, or bad wiring to the solenoid.

Reply to
Roger Brown