'88 pick-up needs ac

My Truck is a 1988 Pick-Up 4-W drive and has the 3.0 liter 6 cylinder. I have heat / air circulation vent and I would like to upgrade to A/C in the truck since it didn't come factory. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you, Chris

Reply to
Chris

cylinder.

Two choices sell the truck or if you are lucky, you might find a factory kit (from Toyota) to fit it because even cars that did not come with A/C were prewired from factory by Toyota (a lot of other imports were too)

Reply to
SnoMan

Try a wrecking yard like TAP.

Reply to
Bubba

my '88 2wd 4cyl. had a dealer added toyota system. u might be able to find one in a junk yard, etc.

Reply to
JeB

I just had this priced out for a '86, 22R. Someone still makes kits for these trucks with all of the parts. Now I was told by the guys who would install it that the kit alone was $2200. ???? I happen to have system one that I salvaged out of a parts truck. I also have a working one in a camper I'm getting rid of. So between those two, we should have all good parts except for the dehydrator (?) and they've agreed to install them. With no warranty on the integrity of the parts, of course... grin

Cappy

Reply to
Cappy

dehydrator (?) = accumulator or also called dryer -- they sould be replaced whenever a unit is exposed to air (they absorb moisture) or you have a compressor failure (they filter hunks out too) . Cost is about $30-35. Consider changing to 134A vice R12 Freon when you convert (R12 is colder but very costly). Some believe you should replace the expansion valve too. If you buy a junk yard one - ensure it comes from proper engine (V6 or 22R or

22RE) since the compressor mountoing brackets are different as may be the lines and the condensor unit. Save all the bolts when you remove it --- they are 1/4" longer than ones on non-AC vehicle. JC Whitney used to have the kits that use 134A for under $1k (800 or 900?)
Reply to
Wolfgang

Consider changing to 134A vice R12 Freon when you convert (R12 is colder but very costly).

This will be done! Wed or Thurs. I can't wait! So tired of sitting on the beltway when it's about 100*+ on all that asphalt! grin

Cappy

Reply to
Cappy

k (800 or 900?)

R134a does not cool as well in a R12 system and runs at a higher pressure too. There are btter substitutes for R12 in a R12 system than R134. R134 can do okay in a system designed for it but not in a system not design for it because sometimes it works "OK" and sometimes not but never as cold as R12. EC12a (Hydro Carbon based) works even better than R12 and the ONLY reason it is not EPA approved (it is not illegal) is because it is a flamable (not inside your closed A/C system). THis is kinda funny because R134 will auto ignite at 495 degrees and when it burns the fumes can and will kill you if you get a good dose of it. ALso R134 is know to be toxic in its native state in confined areas. (the average car A/C hold enough R134 for a 15 to 20x needed amount for a lethal dose inside a closed up car. R12 is not harmfull in its native state nor is EC12a in breathing and the burning of EC12a produces no toxic byproducts. Dupont owns rights to R134 and they do their best t keep quiet is seriuos draw backs. If Dupont had come out with EC12a, it would be EPA approved too.

Reply to
SnoMan