88 PU 4cyl leaking lubricant

My 88 4cyl base pickup Automatic w/o Air Conditioning is leaking lubricant all over the bottom of the motor (front). It's my 18 yo son's truck so I just noticed it. It appears to be a large volume of fluid. It also appears to be coming out with some force because its all over the bottom of the radiator.

By process of eliimination, I have to guess that it's gear lube because it appears to be heavy, neither the engine oil or tranny fluid are low and I just changed the filter and fluid in the tranny.

First question:

1.)What's in that area of the motor/drive train that could be leaking? 2: What would cause it to leak like that. Could it be as simple as a torn transaxle boot or a gasket or something more meaningful ?

Also

Is there a decent illustration anywhere on line of this motor and drive train ? It would help a great deal.

Reply to
Franknphilly

22R engines tend to wear out their main shaft oil seals. When the seal starts leaking, the oil gets on the main pulley and gets slung out all over the front of the engine. The oil gets dirt stuck to it and proceeds to layer up over time to a nasty thick coating.

This is very common , and is a fairly cheap thing to fix.

To fix it you do however have to remove the main pulley, which can be a real pain. It is shot in with a lot of torque and loctite at the factory.

I do recommend having it done by a mechanic, but it should only cost about $150 - $200.

Doing it yourself involves taking off the fan, removing the main pulley bolt, and the main pulley (also known as -- the Harmonic Balancer).

You should drain the oil pan first or it will all come out when you pull the pulley off.

If the pulley surface is too heavily grooved from the shaft seal, then you can get a thin metal sleeve that force fits over the back of the pulley. This gives a new surface for the oil seal to work with.

The seal only costs a few bucks.

Pry out the old seal with a screwdriver, and install the new seal gently by pushing it in with a block of wood and a rubber mallet.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Are you sure it's gear oil? You never stated that it was a 4x4. Clean it up with a degreaser and check for leak points.

As Ernie recommends, check the main shaft oil seals, I'd have that looked at first. If you have not replaced the timing chain by now, I strongly suggest you have it checked. A worn chain guide will allow the chain to slowly wear out the front plate. I had to replace the entire front assembly and get the cylinder head serviced. It cost me about $400 in parts to replace the Timing Chain assembly, gaskets and guides, including a new front plate. Another $300 in shop fees to have the head serviced and replace the valves. I did all the labor myself, but if you were to pay a mechanic, it would cost about $1000-$1500.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

FYI - You can get a new timing chain cover, timing chain set, oil pump and water pump all for under $100 plus shipping from dealers on eBay. I have bought several of these kits recently to rebuild my '85 1Ton flatbed and '86 1/2 ton xtracab-longbed.

Really nice to have a whole new front end.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I don't know about a whole set for under a $100, it cost a bit more a few years back, but I also replaced the water pump, oil pump assembly and a gasket set. That's about $200+ if your going take apart the front plate. I pulled the whole engine out, so it was easier to assemble on a stand than bent over the fender. I got a full rebuild kit, coz it was cheaper than buying a Front kit and a Head set separately. I got most of the items from PartsDinosaur.com . He too sell's on eBay, but for the time waiting for the bidding to end, you can have it at your door sooner, for the same price or a few dollars more.

Reply to
Joseph Wind