88 Van check engine light

Greetings

What causes the check engine light to go on and off? I can be just cruising down the highway and it comes on. Other times it stays off. Do I need to change the air filter or something?

Bernadette

Reply to
BernadetteTS

You need to pull the stored diagnostic codes stored in the engine's ECU and find out what problems they are listing. If this is a 22RE engine, then you could take a look at the following:

About half of the ECU codes stored on the first & second generation EFI Toyotas don't show a constant blinking check engine light therefore you must pull the ECU codes to see if a fault is registered.

To pull the ECU codes:

All 1980-1995 and including 1995 EFI equipped vehicle allow you to find engine and related faults by pulling the ECU (computer) codes without the need for a handheld OBDII diagnosis scanner,the sites listed below have the fault codes needed to pull the codes and the instructions on how to do it:

If a fault is not stored then take voltage and resistancd measurements at each ECU pin and compare with the factory service manual that technique will pin point your problem as this is the technique that I use when troubleshooting tv's, vcr's,home/car audio equipment.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown