89 4x4 Rear end troubles

Hello all, Having troubles with my rear diff (once again). I had all new bearings put in last summer. Theres only abour 10k kms on it since. I noticed after I got the truck back from the mechanic it still clunked a little, when u started off. Also going from drive to reverse. I brought the truck back to the mechanic and he said all toyota's have a little play.Well a year later and it's getting really bad. Gears looked great when the bearrings were done. So what gives? Did he do something wrong. He said I might need a used (new) rear diff? I am still paying for the last bill he gave me. Any help would be GREAT! Thanks!

Reply to
jgrant

Are you sure the clunk is from the diff and not the driveline? U-joints will make a clunk if bad when going from drive to reverse. If that's not it I'd say he might have done something wrong in setting up the gearset or missed something when he rebuilt it. Gearsets have to be set up correctly or they will self-destruct and it's a science that's not easily learned and usuallly not self-taught. I would expect him to tear it down and let me inspect it with him. If it's something he should have found when he was in the first time then I would only expect to have to pay for the defective part he missed and the rest on his dime. Keep us posted. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I actually took the drive shaft off and turned the shaft by hand. It's definally the rear diff. I am assuming he is gonna go good on his work. He was highly recomended. I will keep yah all posted! Thanks~

Reply to
jgrant

"" wrote: > Hello all, > Having troubles with my rear diff (once again). I had all new > bearings put > in last summer. Theres only abour 10k kms on it since. I > noticed after I got > the truck back from the mechanic it still clunked a little, > when u started > off. Also going from drive to reverse. I brought the truck > back to the > mechanic and he said all toyota's have a little play.Well a > year later and > it's getting really bad. Gears looked great when the bearrings > were done. So > what gives? Did he do something wrong. He said I might need a > used (new) > rear diff? I am still paying for the last bill he gave me. Any > help would be > GREAT! Thanks! > > > -- > Vroc#9508 > 2002 Mean Streak > 1990 Honda Civic > 1989 Toyota 4x4 Sr5 > 1980 El Camino > Vancouver Island > B.C Canada

Clunking how??? Bearings will not generally clunk but when they wear they can through off gear alignment and make them noisey but not cluncky. Are you talking gear backlash or driveline slop that you think that bearings are causing? .010 to 012 end play can clunck a bit and hollow drive shaft and make it sound worse but it is nothing to tear rear end down for if gears are quiet otherwise.

Reply to
SnoMan

It is either the spider gears or crosshaft for them causing excessive play and ring to pinion backlash can be very noticable with a deeper axle ratio. THe point I am making is the bearings do not cause clunks like you describe. Someone is not playing it straight with you.

Reply to
SnoMan

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
is exsesive play in the gears I would guess? When I removed thedriveshaft I can turn the gears ( with wheels on the ground) by hand aquarter a turn either way.The clunking I guess I am hearing is the play inthe gears.Now the gears were fine when they were out. So my question is didthe mechanic set the back lash right? I would think there wouldn't be asmuch play in them as there is. There wasn't befor he replaced the bearing.

Reply to
jgrant