89 pickup problems

My son recently had his 89 v-6 engine overhauled(Late Dec. 2005) and about a month ago started getting foam when he removes the engine oil filler cap. He is having to replace radiator fluid about every other day. No other leakage noticed. Took it back to shop and they said engine okay and leakage in heater coil. Not! He has taken it to another shop and they tested for carbon monoxide in radiator fluid, but was not conclusive. He was told to run engine until head gasket blows. Second shop also said repair shops are putting cheap head gaskets in and not the new re-designed thicker head gaskets.

If anyone has information on what is problem, testing procedures, cures, I would sure like to know.

Bill

Reply to
wilfredanderson

If he's getting foam in his oil and losing coolant then I'd say he definately has either a head gasket or head problem, probably gasket. Usually if the head is cracked or warped it will pressurize the cooling system. Is the foam a different color than the oil? Usually when coolant mixes with oil it will turn a dirty brown color. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

You could try bypassing the heater core (if it's not too cold ) and see if the leakage still occurs and this would prove the leakage is in the engine. Cupachino coloured foam on the cap is rather conclusive to me of water in the oil. Joe

Reply to
Joe