89 Toyota Pickup Troubles

Driving along at highway speed in my son's 89 pickup 4 cyl fuel injected. Suddenly it just died. Got it over to the side to find that all the electrical stuff worked but the vehicle wouldn't start.

Towed it home but couldn't find the problem. I assumed that it was a fuel pump or filter. After I got under the vehicle I found that what I believe is the Oxygen sensor was hanging loose by a few wires.

I believe in this vehicle the sensor is part of the the exhaust system. The question is:

Would the loose Oxygen Sensor cause the vehicle to stop running?

That would be a much easier fix that a fuel pump replacement since they're in the gas tank

Reply to
Franknphilly

For it to just die would take more than an oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor only affects the fuel injection system in that it adjusts the fuel to air ratio once the engine is warmed up.

For the truck to just die requires something electrical. Like the electric fuel pump in the gas tank, or the ECU. I would do a thorough check of all wire harnesses.

The fuel pump itself shouldn't just die, unless a wire was broken.

Check all the fuses as well.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago.. some of the O2 sensor wiring had been pulled loose in some offroad brush... Check the 15A EFI fuse under your hood.. If it's blown.. Crawl back underneath and check all the o2 sensor wiring again... if it were hanging, it could have slid up against the exhaust and melted through the wire insulation causing your fuel injection system to short out... That's what happened to me, and after some re-wiring It was good as new.. Ian

Reply to
EasyE

Eazy E is a Genius !

That's exactly what it was. A 15 cent fuse. Many thanks sir !!!

Reply to
Franknphilly

Any Time.... I know 1st and 2nd Gen. trucks very well... I beat them beyond recognition... soooo I've got some knowledge on the stupid little problems that you can have over the years.. Glad I could help! IAn

Reply to
EasyE