91 4Runner - Radio Swap with Newer Toyota???

Hello All,

Just recently bought a beautiful and very well taken care of 1991 4Runner. Everything works great except for the Radio and more specifically the CD and Tape. Radio works fine just the CD and Tape don't work.

So my question is if I could buy a newer Toyota double din system off of Ebay and do a swap. Does anyone know if the connections in the back will allow this? Thanks for your help.

FSJ

Reply to
FSJ

After '88 all factory Toyota factory radios use the same connector/s. You can get a Name brand CD unit (Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, etc.) that will sound better than a Toyota factory stock radio, including the crappy JBL in the later models, for under $100. Some of the higher models will play MP3 CDs.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

I know that my 91 4runner uses both high and low level outputs as the rear speakers are self powered 5inch units. I had to rewire mine to fit an aftermarket unit. Easy job and added a Toyta factory pocket below the singel din (cheaper than double din) unit. Cost was stuff all compared and sounds waaaaay better. BTW I went the Alpine road. Single in dash and stacker in glove box.

Reply to
Scotty

Hmm... never had to re-wire my 93 4runner. I originally had a stock unit, which is now in my 86 HomeDepot beater pickup ( I had to update the connectors in my 86). I had a open factory pocket, but my co-worker upgraded his stock radio in his Paseo, which had a factory pocket also, which he gave to me. The cool thing about the Paseo factory pocket, it had a door. I installed a Sony head unit with a 10 disk changer in the rear side panel of the cargo area. Though my Sony only put out 22w per channel, it was more than enough to power the under powered stock speakers.

Reply to
Joseph Wind