91 SR5 4x4 cruise control question

My cruise control quit working. The light comes on when I turn on the cruise control but it will not engage. I've checked the brake level sensor & the parking break switch. I've heard there is a speed sensor that can go bad. Does anybod know if there is a way to test it and where on the transmission is it located? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Handyman

Same as the speedometer; driven off of tailshaft of tranny. Does your speedometer work? Is your speedometer cable driven or electrical? More likely, your problem may be vacuum related. Have you checked the hoses and the aux vac pump? The FSM has an extensive troubleshooting flowchart for the cruise control.

Reply to
Jeff

You have a Shut Off Switch on the brake pedal, and the clutch pedal. If you depress either of these pedals during Cruise operation, the system will drop out. If the system _thinks_ either of these pedals is depressed, it will fail to engage.

I would expect a wider range of symptoms if the speed sensor had failed.

I have not had the pleasure of experiencing this problem on a Toyota, but I'd be looking to the pedal switches, and the switch on the steering wheel that actually engages the system. There is a relay in there somewhere too. My money is on the brake pedal switch though ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I've already checked the pedal switches. The engine won't turn over unless the clutch pedal is pressed so I know that one is ok. The brake lights don't stay on when the pedal isn't pressed and they do come on when the pedal is pressed so it looks like that one is working as well. I put a multimeter on them to double check and they go from open to short as expected. I also checked the brake fluid level switch on the reservoir, it appears to have a small amount of resistance but actuates the brake light on the dash properly when it is removed from the brake fluid. The parking brake switch is functioning properly as well. I have pulled and checked all vacuum lines, they all appear to be fine. Where is the aux vacuum pump located? I'm not familiar with that.

Reply to
Handyman

If you have a speedometer cable (mechanical) I believe there is a magnetic switch in the speedometer head that closes with each revolution and is the speed sensor. I believe there was a CEL code for it - I think something related to 'speed sensor'. Another online group pointed me to the problem. I was able to find a new switch and solder it in. It is not a Toyota part - they will sell you a whole speedometer head. Do you have time to take the speedometer out and disassemble it? Try everything else first, tho. Good luck.

Reply to
ed_herman

Another thing which remotely could be bad is the cancel switch on the steering wheel. It is not too hard to check out.

Reply to
ed_herman

My 90 4Rnr was showing a code 42 = speed sensor.

Reply to
ed_herman

I've double checked the clutch switch, brake pedal switch, parking brake switch, cruise control and cruise cancel switch with a multimeter. They all check out fine. I went back over the vacuum system. I have vacuum all the way to the cruise control module. My speedometer works fine. I have no check engine codes present. Does anyone have a pdf version of the factory service manual covering the cruise control troubleshooting for a 91 4x4 extra cab pickup? Or any further suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Handyman

The falacy with your test is that the switches have multiple sets of contacts inside, one set can be fine and the other (that operates the Cruse Cut-out) is not working. The safety switch on the clutch does not pick up until the clutch is fully depressed, but the switch to drop the Cruise picks up as soon as the clutch pedal moves off of the home position.

I would not tie the Parking Brake system to the Cruise. Logic dictates that one is not going to apply the parking brakes at 70, or the cruise in a parking space.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The aux vac pump is located next to the vacuum operated activator (driver side fenderwell), on the 22RE. Different deal on the 3VZE.

And, yea, the sensor that the Cruise Control System utilizes is, apparently, in the gauge cluster. Does ANYBODY know if this sensor is embedded in ALL "SR5" gauge clusters?? (I'm performing a retrofit of the CCS into a '92 PU. I "thought" I had accumulated all the necessary parts, including the large wiring harness behind the dash.)

However, in the FSM, the Parking Brake Switch is specifically mentioned as a component of the CSS.

Did the OP ever obtain a link to a FSM? (Seems like he/she needed one.) The FSM has a thorough treatment of the CSS, with troubleshooting flowcharts - whatyacallthem, Gantt charts, or something...

Reply to
Jeff

.

I did check the CC cutout switch on the clutch pedal. It checks out fine. The parking brake switch is tied into the cruise control circuit along with the brake fluid level switch. If the brake light on the dash comes on for any reason, the cruise control will not operate. Years ago I acutally had a bad brake fluid float switch that caused the CC to stop working, replacing that switch cured the issue along with turning off the brake light on the dash. I have already tried a replacement switch at $70 again. I also checked both sets of contacts on the brake pedal switch, one set is normally open, the other is normally closed and they both work properly when the pedal is pressed. Thanks again for everyone's input. If this was a simple fix, I wouldn't have had to ask for help.

Reply to
Handyman