'91 Truck to '85 Celica engine swap

I've gotten some I deas about what I need to do to make this work from the other Toyota group. One question that needs to be answered before I start is the oil pan setup. Any differences between he truck and the car the anyone knows about? Also, I am assuming the flywheels are different sizes. Anything else?

Reply to
Snot Important

Hello again! LOL

The oilpan is way different. Basically, the motor will not fit into the Celica with the truck oilpan, period. The flywheel should fit inside the bell-housing of the tranmission of the celica in any case.

Reply to
Celica Dude

"Celica Dude" wrote in news:o21tc.13889$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Were Celica's rear wheel drive still in 85?

Reply to
MLB

Yes, '86 was the first year of FWD poo for Celicas

Reply to
Celica Dude

The only real issues I can think of are, again, the oil pan and oil pickup tube, and if you're using the truck's clutch disc/pressure plate, check the number of splines for the hell of it (although I really can't imagine it being different)

Take the oilpan and pickup tube from the Celica and put them on the truck motor -- should bolt up no problem after a good warshing... make sure the screen is intact and clear. You'll either have to buy a new gasket for the pickup tube or cut one yourself out of gasket material. (i suggest making your own because i'm cheap and it's fine as long as you can operate an X-acto knife or utility knife) The gasket is only sold in a set of other gaskets (from the parts-counter anyway).

My last mechanical job, I picked up several scraps of gasket material from the trash -- still whittling on them two years later.

If you remove the flywheel, be sure you have Loc-tite to put on the screws when you re-torque. Same goes for the clutch pressure plate screws. I've had a "rebuilt" tranny fail in less than 10 miles thanks to the bonehead at AAMCO not using loc-tite (it took out the flex-plate and the pump on the tranny in the process).... Double-A, Honk-honk M, C, UH OH...

Reply to
Celica Dude

Another thing I was thinking about today... you'll want to use all the accessories from the '85 on the '91s engine... (intake, exhaust, etc.), just to be sure that you don't have mismatched connectors or something silly.

Reply to
Celica Dude