93 2WD Short Bed PU Disc Pads -- Organic or Semi-Metallic?

I have been looking around for new front brake pads. Thought I'd try something other than Toyota Factory parts, for the hell of it (and I don't like the dealer). Anyway, I am getting the impression that this vehicle does not use semi-metallic pads as OEM. Is that right? Surprised me.

Any major brands to look for or avoid?

And, for the record, what is the difference between organic and semi-metallic (a mechanic friend says they ALL have metal in them)?

Please reply to newsgroup.

Jim

Reply to
James Andrus

Got me on the semi-metallic part. I think Toyota has changed the factory pads. I had the dealer (they had a sale) replace the pads on the front of my 4x4. I hated them. I figured they screwed up again, so I changed the pads myself in 5K along with new bearings and stuff. It didn't need it, but with over 300k on the truck, I figured why not. The OEM pads I put in sucked like the pads the dealer put in. With less then 1K miles on them, I put in a set of Hawk Performance pads from Pepboys. The truck stops NOW. In a panic stop, it dives to the ground to scrape off the skidplate and everything in the truck go flying forward. As the brakes heat up, they seem to work better. Near the end of my panic stop, I have to let up because I am stopping too fast because the g-force is pushing my leg down on the pedal too hard.

Best pads I have ever had. But I gave up on keeping the front rims clean. They give off a ton of dust. And they tend to squeak now and then when you are off the brakes. I know they are not going to last long, but I have 10k on them and so far, so good.

Reply to
Eddie