'93 4Runner Tires

Currently, I have Michelin XCX APT 31x10.5 R15 LT tires mounted. Over

46,000 miles have been put on the tires. I believe they'd go 60K if it wasn't for the flat spots and road noise that is a problem now.

The original Wrangler Radials developed the high/ low spots too, quicker.

Yesterday, I went to my (favorite) Toyota dealer to have them check out the front end, including the four wheel drive function. There has been an audible noise occurring when travelling between 5 and 20 mph. It cost me $85.00 but nothing is wrong with my vehicle. The mechanic simply states, new tires will correct the noise problem. I am confident in their evaluation. The are very good- Kearny Mesa Toyota (San Diego).

The mechanic said the tires are too much of an off road tire. The constant pavement travel will cause this condition. He was surprised to see the Michelin tires develop the high/ low spots. And to address the issue, balance- alignment- pressure- rotation- is faithfully maintained.

My question is what should I replace the tires with? What is equivalent to 31x10.5 R15 in P235 75 R15 nomenclature??? At least what is close? Because I think a slightly more narrow tire, and tread designed for mostly pavement is the way I'll go this time. Or maybe I should stay with the same size? Please offer some wisdom as I'm confused.

And if there is any specific brand or type tire that has good wear success on the 4Runner, tell me, please. Michelin is the first choice but maybe I've fallen for the marketing gimmicks. Any other brand/manufacturer suggestions are appreciated.

Reply to
Gary I.

Tire size conversion:

a search... man you would not believe the number of nifty tireconversion, gear ratio conversion, and speedometer correction gizmos thereare!

Most of the charts I found showed 245 85 R15 and 265 75 R15 (all the R means is radial ply construction) to have the closest diameter to yours (depending on the tread) at 31.4" and 30.6". The '15' is your wheel diameter, so whatever size tires you put on will need to end with 15 so they fit. The rest depends on the width of your rims and whether you want ricer tires or tires that rub your wheel wells *g*. Tire Rack's site has a very detailed page which shows you how to calculate tire dimensions.

I've been running BFG A/T TAKO's on my 96 4Runner for about 15K miles now, and they still look brand new, no visible wear, just a little dirty *g*. This is with a majority of street use and two seasons of occasional snow chain use (weekends.) The Gillette no-name brand we had on before went a good 30K before one took a nail, tread was still fair when we replaced them, no uneven wear (one was saved and is now on the spare rim.) Have no idea when ours was last aligned, hasn't had issues so haven't bothered with it. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Yes, I suppose 25.4mm per inch tells me what I need to know. P265 seems to be closest to the 31x10.5. However, I think I'm going to go with a narrow (less wide) P235 75R 15 and a good quality tire for certain. I've got the stock rims sold with the '93.

Thanks for the reply. But about those Michelin tires... should I stay or should I go- decisions, decisions.

equivalent

Reply to
Gary I.

Well, I went to Discount Tires and got 4 Michelin LTX M/S of the same size. I don't know if I paid too much or not- $149ea. They had a ($25 off when purchase 4) minor discount available. I was so tired of all the road noise I just did it! They are so quiet! I forgot what it's like to ride on a magic carpet :-). And as usual, the advice from KMT (the dealer) is accurate. I have no more noise from the front end of the 4Runner. Beautiful!

It's been suggested I get new shock absorbers to help avoid the same wear patterns developing on this set of tires. Although the type tire (M/S series) is supposed to be durable and the current shocks feel fine, I'd still like them to last a long time. The XCX APT set would have gone

60K if not for the uneven wear. What brand of shock absorber is best for an OEM replacement? Or, what is the recomendati> Currently, I have Michelin XCX APT 31x10.5 R15 LT tires mounted. Over
Reply to
Gary I.

Five years ago I paid $200 apiece for Michelin LTX A/T's, so I'd guess you got a good price...

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor

I just bought 4 today for 150 a piece. I saw them online for 130, but that doesn't include shipping

Dave

Reply to
Jimmy Smits Loves Chocolate Milk

That's a good price - I bought mine online, and after you get them mounted, etc. it's all the same. I love minetoo, on my '94 4Runner. I replaced the stock shocks with HD Bilsteins, and I like them.

Bill

Chesapeake, VA

Reply to
bill

I lean toward the family war wagon ride. You know, once the shocks are on you've bought them. And I was fearful of my six year old eventually having a ruptured liver :-). Really, honestly, I didn't know what to do. Since I drive the S. CA. freeways, I thought a nice ride should be my goal. This had to get done because my new tires are not going to wear badly! The Bilsteins are very highly regarded (nice going) and a little more than I wanted to pay. Anyway, I priced Rancho shocks. Rancho seems to be mentioned in the same breath as "lift" and probably too stiff. So, another solution is available. Sears , on sale- I put on the 4 Monroe Sensatrac, $172.00. They're slighly more stiff than the original OEM shocks. I'm satisfied. The combination of the new tires and shocks has really restored a nice ride. Many folks have poo-pooed the Monroe shock as being too soft, in the limited research I accomplished. I think they are about right for my application. The last step in this spending spree is an alignment.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

bill wrote:

Reply to
Gary I.