'94 4runner blower resistor removal & replacement

Has anyone ever done this? I have the new resistor, but having a bear getting the heater/AC unit out far enough to get to the resistor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Chesapeake, VA

Reply to
bill

At least on my '85, its not too hard to reach, it can be removed and replaced w/o removing anything:

Roger Brown

I just removed it on my '93. Two screws and it falls out. I didn't have to remove anything else. What are you trying to get out?

Reply to
Eddie

Well, mine just fell out too. I finally wrestled the old one out, and juggled the new one into place. It was a bear. I guess my troubleshooting was poor - the fan stil has the same symptoms now. The speeds are not correct; 2 is faster than 3, but 4 still gives full fan speed.

What next? The switch?

Thanks for the reply.

Bill

Reply to
bill

You could test the switch by checking its outputs at the resistor connector.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Thanks Roger, that's what I did after borrowing a factory manual. The switch checked good, but there were charred marks near terminal #2. I cleaned it up and reconnected the switch - it works for now. Looks like I'll be buying a new switch soon.

This was quite the experience.

Bill

Reply to
bill

Hmm. Good to know. I have the same problem. Looks like it's time to rip the dash out to get to the switch. Maybe I will order a new one at the dealer first. :) It's 105 out.

Reply to
Eddie