94 4runner intake manifold

I recently purchased a 94 4runner (3VZE V6). I would like to start doing my own tune-ups and general maintenance. I'd like to know how to remove the intake manifold (for stupid stuff like the PCV valve). I've looked it up in the repair manuals you find at AutoZone, but they are worthless. I've debated whether to purchase some time on Toyota's Technical Information System

to see if they have detailed instructions. When they say to remove 800 different things, I'd like to know where they are. Any ideas? Sites? Suggestions? Much appreciated.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Nick,

If my memory serves me correctly, yes you do. I have heard of some wiggling it out underneath but I removed the plenum to change mine.

Reply to
1992 Toyota Xcab

I assume you are talking about the Air Intake Chamber (most people call it the 'plenum') vs. the Intake Manifold. Yes, you must remove it to access the PCV, the fuel delivery pipes, the valve covers, etc. It's a bit of work, so I would wait for a good reason before I removed it. The PCV is just a check valve and, as such, should last a long, long time (mine has

290K on it).

If you are going to do your own maintenance, purchasing the repair manual would be the best investment you ever made. In fact, in my opinion, it's pretty much a no-brainer. I can personally attest that the manual for the

3VZ-E is quite good. It is detailed, has nice illustrations and schematics (including wiring and vacuum), and contains a great deal of technical specs. Also, it is very accurate for the most part as I have only found a couple of small errors in my copy. I looked over a couple of the Chilton books in a bookstore just today for my 4Runner and, although they are pretty good, there is no comparison to the Toyota shop manual.

Luther

Reply to
Luther