94 4runner starter

With this winter, I am having a hard time with the starter motor. I dropped a new battery in the engine with more cold cranking amps, and the engine turns perfectly. However the starter motor does not seem to be disengaging even after the engine has been on for about 2-3 seconds. It makes a loud, electrical motor "wind-up" noise while the engine is started, and disengages way too late. Sounds like the pinion is sticking, but Im no authority on starters. Is there anything I can do about this, and if the vehicle needs to be raised and inspected, what kind of cost am I looking at here if the motor is going bad?

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Its only held in with 2 bolts a a couple wires - why not remove it, disassemble and clean it? Here's link for removal and changing the contacts in it. If the gear is chewed up you may need to swap it for a rebuilt one --- inspect the fly wheel too.

Reply to
Wolfgang