95 4Runner V6 main seal leaking??

I have a 95 4Runner 3.0 V6 with about 90k miles on it and the engine's rear main seal is leaking oil. Is this a problem on this model? The reason I ask is that of all the 4cyl Toyota's I've ever owned previously this has not been a problem. Even my 84 pickup with 229k does not leak. Kinda dissapointed this one has begun leaking so early. I gotta believe this would be a b$%ch to fix myself and would cost a pretty penny to have done.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Schmitt

Rocky

Excellent idea! I have not explored it more thoroughly but that might be the casue. Do you recall exactly where the stock oil cooler is mounted and where the lines run? I would think they are low pressure rubber hoses which could easily spawn a leak. I guess I need to hit the public library and check out the Haynes or other repair maunuals for the oil line routing.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
cschmitt

make sure that the oil filter isnt loose as well or seeping. I checked all that but mine was indeed a rear seal. Not that hard to change though, took a whole day with two guys but we got it done. Seal was only $18 AUD as well. Im not interested in paying someone to do what I can do even if they can do it in half the time.

Reply to
Scotty

Yeah I plan on going over it quite thoroughly this weekend. I would be interested in just what your odometer read at the time when your leak occured. I still have tough time with the seal going out @ 90k miles. Maybe on a Ford or Chebby but not a Toyota.

Thx, Chris

Reply to
cschmitt

At 230,000 Kms.

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
Rocky

You should see water lines feeing a hockey puck shaped unit. That's the Oil cooler. Also check to see if one of your Power Steering lines might be leaking as well. That also looks like a rear seal leak.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Another thing to check, is the PVC valve. Pressure within the crankcase can push oil out of a rear main seal.

Reply to
Jeff

Well upon closer inspection it seems as if the main seal is not the culprit. Looks as if the oil cooler is leaking a bit as is the PS pump (possibly one of the hoses that connects to it). From what I can tell from the service manual the oil cooler needs service every 75k miles. Gonna get both items serviced this week.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Reply to
cschmitt