95 4Runner V6 starting to burn oil any suggestions?

I have a 95 4runner with V6. I have noticed in the last year that it is starting to burn oil. I have to top it up every 4 months or so. It is not my daily driver, so it sometimes sits for a week or so. I do not notice any smoke from the exhast when it runs, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? It has about 124,000 KM's on it and is in otherwise excellent condition.

Reply to
cvjenks

How many miles per qt?

Reply to
Bard

Reply to
cvjenks

Are you sure it's not leaking oil?

-RT

Reply to
righty tighty

My engine compartment is spotless (I'm a clean freak), and I never see any oil leaks under the truck.

Reply to
cvjenks

Reply to
John

That sounds excessive for those miles. (For reference I just checked my

148k mileV6 today and I've used maybe a 1/4 qt in 3k miles.) But if your aren't loosing it through a gasket externally then you have to be burning it. Have you pulled the plugs to see if they are all burning it or just a cylinder or two? How's the PCV? Ever been replaced? If it's stuck closed it can lead to excessive crankcase pressure resulting in leaky gaskets. If it's stuck open it can cause excess vacuum to the crankcase during deceleration ( I think that's when it happens) causing excessive oil consumption by way of oil vapors flowing through the intake. If I were you I would replace the PCV if it's never been done or it's been a while and pull the plugs to see what color they are. White or tan is normal, dry-black is rich, wet-black is severe oil consumption, grey fluffy deposits are the ones burning the oil quick enough to stay ahead of drowning in it! You can always do a compression or leak down test, but stick to the easy/cheap stuff for now.

Good luck, Bard

Reply to
Bard