95 Taco Engine "sucking noise"

Hi folks, don't know a ton about trucks but i've owned the tacoma since 1995 and never heard this noise before. It only sounds like its sucking some air under acceleration. You can feather the gas on and off and hear the engine "suck air" when the accelerator is pressed. I tried to narrow it down. Sounds like its under the plenum or around the back right side.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Steven Zeuner

I have a 96 Tacoma and mine started something similar recently. It started the same time that I cleaned my mass airflow sensor. After doing a few things to diagnose, it sounds like it's coming from the catalytic converter. I believe that something is broken inside the cat and that is where the noise is coming from. As to why it started after cleaning the mass airflow sensor... Maybe there is more airflow so the sound is more pronounced. The sucking noise is not always there. The cat also rattles quite a bit but I'm not sure if that's normal. Very weird...

Dante

Reply to
Dante

I could be something as simple as a Gasket, or a Broken Vacuum line. Inspect Carefully, Vacuum leaks generally lead to idle problems, Brake Booster Issues, and Odd Sucky Noices.

Reply to
mjsmikey