95 Tacoma 3.4L V6 questions

Greetings-

Vehicle is a 95 Tacoma 2WD 3.4L V6 5 speed. Got it about a year ago to replace my venerable 85 22r pickup. My questions-

Is there a way to adjust the idle *mixture* on the 3.4?

Is there a way to adjust down the power steering system pressure (there has to be a relief valve somewhere in the pump)?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

The mixture is set by the computer. Software (I think it's really firmware, but what do I know?) defines what the O2 Sensor wants to see, and the computer makes adjustments to the injector timing to acheive that result. You have to alter the programming. Why do you want to change the mixture?

I don't know if you can change the power steering or not, but most people like the resistance.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hi Jeff-

There is a slight "lope" at idle. It feels like "lean lope". Vehicles I've owned in the past were carburated and lean lope could be adjusted out by turning the idle mixture screw CCW a small amount. I was wondering if there was a similar adjustment somewhere on the 3.4. Yes, did all the usual- air filter, spark plugs, injector cleaner, compression check..

MORE resistance is what I'm looking for. After driving my '85 for almost 20 years the steering on my Tacoma feels WAY overboosted- I can easily (and literally) turn the steering wheel with one finger with the brakes locked. Once rolling there is virtually no resistance. And the feedback is very unpleasant- every bump and irregularity on the road surface gets telegraphed back to the steering wheel. When driving on a rough road the wheel is constantly dancing around in my hand. Yes, the front end has been recently aligned and the tires are all about one year old. All bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends check OK. Installing dual hydraulic steering stabilizers had absolutely no effect. Is this what the Tacoma power rack-and-pinion is supposed to feel like? Anyone?

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

The idle is entirely controlled by the "idle valve" or whatever it's called. Sits under the throttle body and is fairly expensive. There's absolutely nothing adjustable. It really shouldn't be idling "rough", thought it IS supposed to be lean. If there's anything malfunctioning, it will read out in the error codes. One fairly common issue with used 3.4's is that someone may have put the wrong plugs in it. I'd start there. Don't assume that what came out of it was the right plug.

Reply to
Dan G

Thanks, Dan.

No CheckEngine light, thus no error codes. Could there be a malfunction that does not activate the CheckEngine light? I know about the dual electrode plugs. They're proper.

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph