96 2.4 Engine code

I had an engine code come up to my 96 2.4L Tacoma. It says I've got a" lean condition on bank 1", which I assume is the only bank on an inline

4....

I'm trying to figure out what to check out for problems.

Power is ok, maybe a bit weak, milage is normal.

Two things may be relevent;

1) A few days earlier, I ran the fuel tank to within a gallon of empty. May have stirred up some crud ?

2) Since I bought the truck two years ago, it has had trouble starting when fully warm on summer days. Like when I stop at the convenience store, especially if I gas up when it's hot. I crank it several times (not touching the gas pedel) before it reluctantly catches. I might think it's flooded, but the strong smell is not gasoline, it's CO. Very strange and may be related to the MIL.

I'm thinking fuel supply system for both problems, even if they are unrelated. Um, clogged filter, injectors, purge system?

Any suggestions for where to look? Appreciate any thoughts!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lewis