’96 4-Runner starter/ignition problem Help!!!

When I turn the key it clicks but doesnt always turn over. Replaced the battery ans still does the same thing. I bought a starter but am having damn hard time getting it out. Right now its unbolted but cant get it out of there. Anyone know of the easiest way to remove/install the starter? Could it be something else other than the starter?

If I crank it everyday it usually cranks OK, may have to try a couple times at the most but usually first try. If I let it set over the weekend. I have to keep trying and trying to crank it and it will finally crank.

Reply to
DirtyDarrel

I had a similar problem on my 96, the dealer gave me a new started an that solved the prob, though, as soon as I got it replaced there were others that chimed in with a cheap fix that might have prevented replacing the expensive starter.

look thru the archives for this subject line

Bad starter?/ and your should see a couple of posts with suggestions

Dave

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

It sounds just like the problem that I had with my '96 SR-5. It got worse and worse until I replaced the starter. You need to move the brake line to get enough room to get it out through the opening in the wheel well.

Just replacing the brushes is possible, but I think replacing the whole thing is the way to go, considering the effort involved, at least if you're going to keep the vehicle for some time.

John

Reply to
John Briggs

As I recall, the automatic transmission dipstick may also be in the way.

John

Reply to
John Briggs

It is the starter contacts and they cost about $17 to replace. The trouble is the install or removal of the starter. I had the dealer do it for $140 total. No need to replace the starter.

Doug

JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk wrote:

Reply to
Douglas Stephens

"DirtyDarrel" wrote: > When I turn the key it clicks but doesnt always turn over. > Replaced the battery ans still does the same thing. I bought > a starter but am having damn hard time getting it out. Right > now its unbolted but cant get it out of there. Anyone know of > the easiest way to remove/install the starter? Could it be > something else other than the starter? > > If I crank it everyday it usually cranks OK, may have to try a > couple times at the most but usually first try. If I let it > set over the weekend. I have to keep trying and trying to > crank it and it will finally crank.

Thanks guys! I had to move the transmission fluid filler tube and the brake line and all is well. Starter was $130.

Reply to
DirtyDarrel