96 4 Runner Won't Start

My wife came home yesterday and complained her 4R was acting funny, and her fuel gage stopped working. This morning it started ok but, when she was driving down the street and it died and won't restart. Everything seems to be working fine, all of the electronics, a/c, windows, etc... It even turns over ok, it just won't start. It sounds like it isn't getting any gas (it has a full tank) and the gas gauge still isn't working (everything else seems to be). I have checked the fuses (inside and under the hood) and they seem to all be ok. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Joe Heller joe @ joeheller . com

Reply to
Joseph Heller

If it turns over it just means your starter motor works and you've still got a good battery to power it. Check the fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, the vent lines for the gas tank, and the distributor components. Also might check the ignition coil, our old Prism decided not to start even with a good battery and starter and this was the problem. I could offer further help if I knew which engine you had (4cyl or v-6?)

Did she hit or run over anything and just not tell you? ;) I'll never forget all the little mishaps my parents inadvertently kept from each other regarding their cars, like running over 4x4 lumber on the freeway, getting bumped coming off freeway off ramps, etc. I even knocked a side view mirror off while backing out of the garage one time, glued it right back on and didn't mention it for months. It happens. *grin* Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Wild guess; the plug for the wiring harness that goes to the fuel tank that is located by the fuel sending unit on top of the tank has become corroded and is no longer making good contact. My understanding is that the ECU has to tell the fuel pump to work so if no contact, no fuel pumping. I would have guessed that the pump itself is shot, but the fact that the gauge stopped working at the same time seems oddly coincidental. I don't have a 96 4Runner, but I believe there is supposed to be an access plate to get to the top of the tank and wiring that should be located underneath the carpet on the side the gas tank is located. It would be either in the cargo area or right behind/under the passenger side rear seat. While you're at it, take a quick run through all your fuses and make sure something hasn't burned out. You might get lucky. Chris whitewall junkie and variation dabbler Mfinja's Hot Wheels with Whitewalls

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

Sounds like your out of GAS.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

It does sound like the fuel pump. A few ways to test it. First is messy. Under the hood, find the fuel line, find a connection you can open up (metal line to rubber hose), crank it over for a few seconds, fuel should squirt out. Second, turn the key to on, find fuel tank and see if you hear a humming sound. This is the pump motor turning. My 95 repair manual says you have to take the tank off to access the pump. It may not be bad, just bad connection. If you have a volt meter you can test if power is getting to it. My manual talks about an EFI main relay located behind the left side kick pannel in the cab. It should click when you turn the key to on. Now yours is a 96, it might not be the same. With a lot of in tank fuel pumps, the fuel gage mechanism is located on the pump, so no power to the pump will probably mean no gage. Let us know what you find.

-Matt

Reply to
matt morian