'96 tacoma ignition switch problem...

'96 tacoma 4cyl. I have this problem..Turned the key to start & only would go to acc., this happened a few times..Then it suddenly would only go in the ignition not even turn? Which it is stuck . Well I took the under dash apart & I could notice that you can't take out the ignition seperatly. The reason is that there is these funky looking bolt heads that holds the steering lock in place on the colum. A very big unit & it is all one piece . That I could not take apart , The bolts look as they are threaded, but they are Cone shaped on the bracket on the colum.

Is there a unknown way of taking these bolts off ? Or if not do I have to go for the very expensive whole steering unit ? For an ignition ?...This is very important to me , If you should have any knowledge on this subject , please share with me.. I will be in debt to you or maybe an answer of thanks to you ...

Reply to
dan colpack

I had the lock break in my '93 SR5. I could take the key in and out, but not turn. I learned a few things about the Toyota ignition key setup when I replaced it.

If you can turn the key to ACC, your golden. Take the plastic off around the ignition switch. Turn the key to ACC and look under the switch. You will see a little hole with a release pin in it. Stick a small screw driver and push the pin in. Then with the key still in the ACC spot, pull and wiggle. The tumbler will pull out with the key. A replacment cost $100 at the dealer and slides in the same way the old one came out.

If you can't get it out because the key won't turn, you will need to drill out the bolts holding the entire assembly on the steering column. I used a set of reversing drill bits and the bolts came out easly. (I found some nice stainless hex head metric bolts to replace them with.) On mine, I drilled out the release pin and then pulled out the tumbler. Then just slide the new tumbler in. Don't unscrew the electrical switch from the back of the ignition unit( unplug it) or mess around with the parts inside. The parts can go in two ways and one way locks the wheel when you turn the key on. :)

Oh, and you will now have 2 keys (door and ignition) unless you take the tumbler to a locksmith first. I figured it was not worth it.

Good luck Eddie

P.S. You might be able to drill out the release pin with it on the column, but I think the pin is hardened and it likes to spin. Drilling out something nasty pushing up and on an angle, is hard and if you screw up, you will screw put the housing and I bet that does not cost no $100.

Reply to
Eddie