96 Tacoma maintenance @ 100K

Greetings;

I have about 99.5K on my '96 Tacoma, 4x4 and my mechanic just recommended I replace the timing belt and waterpump. Total cost about $460.

Is this something I should consider getting done or is it unnecessary. I absolutely trust the mechanic but just thought I'd get some additional input.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Captain

I have a '94 pickup 2WD with a 22RE engine and it uses a timing chain. Is the Tacoma different?

Reply to
bearman

Is the water pump leaking?

Timing belt; yes. Incidentally, my 95 taco v6 had a recall on leaking heads. At the Toyo dealer, I got the "hey while we were here, and since the heads are off and free to you, we saw your pump is leaking, do you want us to change it (because we already started and we'd be pissed if you said no)?"

I did opt to change it; I was too at 100k miles. $460 doesn't sound too bad regardless.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Sabine

I believe the 4 cyl is a chain while the 6 is a belt.

recommended

Reply to
Eric Sabine

The water pump is cheap, and with that many miles on it, it makes sense to change it while there. Most of all the cost is labor. You don't want to have to go back and change it in a month.

G-Man

recommended

Reply to
G-Man