97 4runner wont start at times

Erratic, full electrical power but sometimes just clicks. The regular driver (my girlfriend) says she can get it started by changing the steering wheel position. Scary, but I can see why she believes it - it seems to start when she moves the steering position. Even when it wont start I can hear clicks in engine compartment. Seems like it might be the starter solenoid...but there are politics involved... Any ideas? Thanks!

Reply to
codesman

Could be the switch when you turn the key.Sounds like it's worn out.

I've been told, don't put a lot of keys on the key ring, it's wears out the switch.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

See the page below for troubleshooting and repair ideas:

Roger Brown

Thanks for the feedback. The problem is definitely in the starter and not the switch (can hear click at solenoid). So, I thought I'd take the "easy", and expensive, route of just replacing the s/s. Ha, ha! I worked for a long time with rubber access cover and manifold heat sheild removed and could not get the old starter out! :( The old starter is now back in while my arms heal. Between the frame, skid plate, front drive assy., solid tube from trans., exhaust system, and a myriad of other tubes and connections, I could not reach in past my forearm...much less get the starter out. What genius figured out that design? Is there a practical home repair solution?

Reply to
codesman

I read somewhere in this group that the way to go is to take the starter out in two pieces. And this problem may not be unique to 4Runners, since my brother had to do the same to another Toyota vehicle (could have been the Camry). My brother wondered the same thing, what genius decided where the starter should go.

-Guicho.

Reply to
Guicho

I have some tips for removing and repairing the starter on my web page:

Roger Brown