'97 T-100 brake rotor upgrade suggestions??

Hello all,

My current rotors have been cut once and are warped. This time I'd like to upgrade. Maybe slotted and/or drilled. Any suggestions? A particular brand? While I wouldn't mind rotors that afforded better braking, I'm more concerned with one's that might last longer where warpage is concerned. TIA!

Reply to
xsacta

Are they actually warped? Were they measured on the car with a dial indicator, and was the runout greater than the acceptable seven-thousandths?

A more common cause of the brake judder you felt is due to the brake pad material getting hotter than the material was made to handle. This causes uneven deposits of pad material on the rotors and the subsequent grabbing. The assumption is made that the rotors are warped, the rotors are turned removing the buildup of material and some metal, and they are smooth again for a while.

Any good brand of rotor is likely OK. Wagner, Raybestos, Brembo, Toyota. I prefer slotted rotors over drilled. Too often drilled rotors develop cracks at the holes. Racers are now using slotted rotors. I have SP Performance slotted rotors and Performance Friction pads (also available under the AutoZone brand) and like them a lot.

Always flush and renew the brake fluid, and every two years is best. The fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere which lowers the boiling point. The heat from very heavy braking can cause the fluid to flash to vapor, your pedal goes to the floor, and if you don't crash you need to change your shorts.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton