97 Tacoma - miss/hesitation

Another problem rears its head after buying this truck.

This is a 97 Tacoma, 2.7 liter, 4wd, 93,000 miles. This happens when driving at light throttle, steady speed at 2500 rpm for example. The truck will either have a loss of power that lasts for 1-2 seconds or jerk quickly. I *don't think* it is a single cylinder missing. It feels more like a sudden loss of all power because of the severity of the loss of power. I haven't felt it yet under heavy throttle and don't think it has happened before full warm-up.

Spark plug connections are all ok. Thanks.

Tom

Reply to
TC

Any engine codes? Start there. When's last time you replaced the plug wires, fuel filter? Hesitation could have dozens of causes. Timing can be check with a $30 timing light from Pep Gurlz.

Reply to
TacomaDude

I just bought the truck, so I don't know how old everything is. Plugs are in good condition. The check engine light is not coming on, but I have not yet tried to retrieve any codes that may be stored.

It does have a crack in the exhaust manifold. I don't know if that can be cause the EFI to be 'fooled' so much as to cause an occasional miss.

Tom

Reply to
TC

wires... mine did something like that, especially under a load....

Reply to
RedForeman ©®

I had a similar problemon my 2000 tacoma V6, checked the fault codes at autozone, it was the trottle position sensor. $200 bucks for replacement at dealer. A friend with a 98 V6 had same problem. I hope this helps...

Bill

Reply to
BillyMack