97 Tacoma Speedometer

Today at 0 degrees F I heard the speedometer making noise. Under

30mph it was a churning noise, over 30mph it became a horrendous constant screech. There was no wavering of the needle. At warmer temperatures, it is perfectly quiet. Anyone else have this problem? Is a new gauge needed or just some lube or is it a replaceable part of the speedometer gauge that may be failing? Thanks.

Tom

Reply to
TC

They last about 80-100k, nothing to do but replace.

Reply to
Dan G

Seriously? You're telling me Tacoma speedos s**t the bed after

80-100k and too many people have needed to do this replacement already? I'll never understand things like this about auto manufacturers. Why do they feel like they need to reinvent the wheel? What is the important reason to redesign something as simple and proven as a speedo. only to wind up making a new pile of crap that doesn't last?

Tom

Reply to
TC

The speedo cable, that is. Also the starter and the blower motor, they're cutting lots of corners these days.

Reply to
Dan G

My 97 Tacoma speedometer has the exact same noise problem you describe. Note: there is no cable, it is an electric/electronic speedo in this model. Steve

Reply to
Steve

If it is an electronic gauge, then it IS the gauge that is at fault, which is probably not cheap to replace. How long has yours been doing it? Does it only do it at cold temperatures? Did it get worse over time? I'd like to hear anything about it you can tell me since I just got this truck. Thanks.

Tom

Reply to
TC

There are both types in the '97, depending on your trim package. The mechanical gauge bundle is more common.

Reply to
Dan G

TC, RE: Speedometer: Truck has about 85K miles. The noise started at about 75K and is progressively getting worse. Again, it is very noisy in cold weather, like when I start up in the morning when it is below 30 degrees. After driving a while it slows down and nearly stops, but not completely. These last few days it has been warmer (about 65 degrees) and I can still hear the noise slightly. Steve

Reply to
Steve