97 Tacoma water problem

I have a 97 Tacoma Ext Cab 2.7 4X4 and the driver side floor board and carpet keeps getting wet. The floor board is rusty so this must have been happening for a while. I can't see any apparent holes where water would be getting in. There is also small tear (about 2") in the weather stripping at the bottom of the door. I guess it's possible that the water is getting in there but I have a hard time believing that water would go up and into this area. Unless the water coming off the tires is being driven into this area by natural forces while the vehicle is moving. What are the other possibilities? Is the heater core located on this side or the passenger side? Has anyone else experienced this problem? I just bought the truck a couple of weeks ago and I'm just getting familiar with it. Any help on the cause and/or a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Terry

Terry,

This is a known issue with that year Taco; there's several TSBs addressing the issue. It's called a "cowl seam leak." The fix is to run a bead of silicone on the underside of the lip under the fresh air intake from the right fender across firewall; ask your dealer to show you pics of the TSB if you can't find the seam.

There's two other possibilities - worn, leaky or disturbed firewall grommets where the AC lines and drip pan go (although this usually results in a passenger side leak); and there may be a poor seal around the wires if the firewall was ever drilled for installation of an aftermarket alarm system.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

Mike, thank you very much. I looked for the seam but I'm not sure I see the one you mean. I'll probably go tto the local dealership and look at the TSB. Any ideas on how to keep the rust from getting worse on the floor board? Take care and thanks again for your help. Terry

Reply to
Terry

Terry,

The hard way.

If it were mine, I would lift the carpet, grind to bare metal using a 3M abrasive pad on an angle grinder, weld pinholes (if any), use a phosphoric acid rust neutralizer to catch any spots that I might have missed, prime and paint. However, I happen to own all of the products and equipment to do this already, I don't live in a "rust state," and my wife welds.

Depending on how bad it is, your long term intention about owning this truck and its mechanical soundness otherwise, you may want to just go with the phosphoric acid / primer / paint.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris