98 3.4L 4WD Starter/Ignition/Battery

Factory battery is suspect, as well as the starter, all OEM.... But one cold morning, turned the key, and nothing, only a click... click... click... get out, screwdriver to the battery, SPARK!!! ok... back in, click click Vrrrroomm... shew... that was close...

Several days later... warm... did the same thing... click click, click... but nothing... after a few choice curse words, all 4 letter... it starts....

I'm thinking starter, because the battery 'seems' fine.. I'm having it checked today after work.... Don't mind getting a battery, since it's turning cold, and might be the problem... but was wondering if anyone could shine some light on something that I may not be seeing....

Weak/cold battery not able to turn over on first click? My thought is the bendix spring inthe stater is just getting worn or old and it's not engaging, or it's bound... not engaging.... I've not had any 'bad' starts from 'non-engaged' gear, but just a click....

Starter?

Battery?

Ignition switch?

Thanks guys...

Reply to
RedForeman ©®

Likely the contacts inside the starter solenoid:

problem, simple and inexpensive repair.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Damn Roger... Thanks... I knew you had the answer, didn't know you had the time to give it to me...

Much appreciation given your way!!!!

Reply to
RedForeman ©®
5 year old battery? I'd spring for a new one and not get hands dirty on trying to fix other things that are probably not broke!
Reply to
Wolfgang