'98 4-runner clutch

My 6-cyl, 4wd 4-Runner clutch has started to grab a little. Is 63,000 miles to early to expect to need a clutch? How hard is the clutch to replace? I remember doing the one on my '83 Landcruiser FJ60 and the size of the transmission and the way it was attached made the job very difficult.

thanks

Reply to
RichK

JMach

Reply to
RichK

In my opinion, 63,000 miles is too soon for a clutch to give out. I have a

Reply to
Rocky

Reply to
JMach

I have a 1997 4runner and replaced the clutch myself. I had only 65k and thought it was a bit pre-mature myself, but nothing you can do right? I drive it pretty hard too. Anyway...it took a complete weekend to do in a garage on jackstands. There are a couple REAL hard to get at bolts. One is on the driver's side up top (from under the vehicle). The other is on the top on the passenger side. I have some pretty slim forearms and was able to get a wrench up there...barely. It will take all of your will power and inginuity (sp?) to get those babies off. I got up at about 7am and started on a Saturday. By noon, I had the flywheel in my hand ready to have re-surfaced. I worked until about 7pm on Sat. Got up the next morning and had the truck on the road at about 3:30 in the afternoon. I was quoted around $900 to have the thing replaced and next time, I will probably pay it. At the time, I didn't have the money and had no choice. Hope this helps.

Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

Oh yeah...there is no clutch adjustment on these either...other than an adjustment on the pedal, but I don't think it is meant to adjust the clutch. I believe it is to remove slack in the pedal when it is fully released at the top. The reason my clutch failed, I found, is the throw out bearing had failed and took the rest of the clutch with it (over time).

Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

Reply to