98 4-Runner hatch problem

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any tip/tricks for getting the hatch open on a 98 4-runner. I'm not sure what's wrong with it a this point but basically the latch won't release. I wanted to try and get inside the door itself by removing the trim on the inside but I'm not sure where to start on it...I don't want to crack it either.

I though it may be possible to get at the nuts which hold on the "catch bar/loop" for the bottom portion of the latching mechanism (for lack of the proper term)...but it's difficult to access with the spare tire in place, and the spare seems pretty difficult to lower with the hatch closed....hmm!?!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Randy V.P.

Reply to
yotaman

I was looking through the Haynes manual for mine (covers yours as well) and it looks like the only bolt inside you have to worry with is the retaining bolt for the pull handle. After that, seems like the panel will pop right off of all the clips (use a putty knife if you need to pry, it's flexible enough that it'll bend before the plastic will, unless it's really brittle plastic. Be prepared to buy new clips *grin*.) Your only problem will be space to work in and probably slightly bowing that panel to maneuver it around. It doesn't seem to be sandwiched between anything. The license plate garnish is secured by a nut and five clips. You pry it off with a scraper and there's your access to the lock cylinder and release cable. But to get to the nut, you have to go from the inside, behind that panel. BTW the Haynes has a nice exploded view of the entire back hatch.

Reply to
Pookerz

Thanks for the description of the hatch...I'm going to have to go out and pickup one of those Hayne's manuals. I've used them before and they are definitely worth the money...I've just never had anything wrong with the

4-runner yet that justified buying it. :-)

Once I got inside the door I noticed that the problem was that the actual handle/trigger portion was loose and and had popped over the rod connecting it to the latch. Once I had it back in place it was just a matter of tightening it back down and it's as good as new!!

Thanks again for the advice.

Randy

Reply to
news