'98 Starter - Yeah, another one...

Sorry for what is probably a repeat post, but after reading through all the posts on starter issues I could find, I couldn't find one with my exact issues.

Apologies if this has been answered before.

98 Tacoma, 4-cyl, 100k miles.

Put the key in, turn it on.... all the light work, etc, etc...

Turn the key to start engine.... nothing. No "click"... just nothing.

****** Weird part that works every time******

Switch the cab fan on and then off, turn the key and it starts!!

Now, it's been cold as a you-know-what here in Colorado lately, but still. This truck has run flawlessly and now the starter get's goofy because it's cold outside?

Anyone have any answers to this one?

Reply to
jlampitt

What happens when you try start twice in a row without touching your fan?

Reply to
Scotty

Since it sounds quite repeatable, try doing some of the troubleshooting steps I describe on my page:

a meter on the starter solenoid control terminal (i.e. the small wire onthe starter) and measure the voltage both when it works and when it doesn'twork. If there is no voltage, or a very low voltage there when it won't start,the problem lies upstream of the starter, in the wiring, switches and relaysbetween it and the ignition key. It could be a ground problem with your fanon/off "fix". Should be able to take some voltage measurements inside the cabto see what changes when you turn the fan on/off.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown

Hi All, I cleaned the white powder build-up on the battery posts and sprayed WD-40 on them. When I started the engine a few days later, I only heard click and nothing happened. I measured the battery's voltage and it was 12.67 Volts between the two posts.

Can someone please tell me what is wrong? Is it coincidental that right after I cleaned the battery posts, the starter died?

Thank you all in advance,

TT

P.S. I have a '90' Toyota 1-ton V6, 3.0L truck

Reply to
ttran

TT, I wouldn't initially suspect the starter in this case. Are you making voltage checks across the actual battery posts? Check on the terminals also to make sure you have a good connection. Make sure both terminals are tight on the posts and all the way down on the posts. If you didn't clean with a battery terminal/post cleaner that has brushes then they may not be truly clean. If your terminals have been changed to the temporary type that have a band clamping the wires, check this as it's a common trouble spot. Also make sure there isn't a wire that attaches to the terminal that might have gotten left off. One of the best corrosion preventions I've found is a small amount of grease (wheel bearing or chassis lube) around the bottom of the post where it extends through the plastic case. This will seal off the gasses that cause corrosion. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Yes, I would double check the connections, they may have loosened up. Then check the voltage at the starter when it clicks (check the small control wire voltage under load). If it is within 1/2 volt of the battery, then the problem is in the starter solenoid:

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Brown

You can also clean the inside of the post terminals with a 12 guage shotgun cleaning brush and Coke...Vasaline is also a good top coat on terminals to prevent chemical corrosion. Goaty

Reply to
Vencil Selvage

If this is an original stater, it probably went bye bye.

15 years is pretty good service, I only got 7 on my Corolla.....

Mark

Reply to
Mark