'98 Tacoma Diagnostic Not Responding for Inspection

I am unable to get my '98 Tacoma 2.7l to pass inspection because the onboard diagnostic computer will not communicate with the inspection machine. I have tried more than one shop and the answer is the same. All the fuses have been checked and are ok. Any ideas on what could cause this? Thanks..

Reply to
Andy