98 Tacoma Leaf Springs

My 98 Tacoma's original driverside leaf spring broke at 100k miles. I replaced it myself with a fabricated spring from a spring shop. 20k miles later that spring broke. I don't tow much, or offroad, i'm guessing a pothole was the culprit both times.

Now I'm faced with getting another fabricated spring, purchasing an OEM spring, or upgrading to an aftermarket spring with more than 3 leafs. If I increased the number of leafs, I would then need to replace the springs on driver and passenger side. I may also then be dealling with the back end being lifted a few inches. Any suggestions? What are the risks of only replacing one leaf spring ?

Reply to
matthew.dunbar

Mine also broke (99 2WD) I think this problem may be common on these trucks. I took it to a spring shop that specializes in heavy trucks. They did it for less than half of what my local Toyota dealer would have charged. I just had the one side done, so it now sits slightly higher on the one side. Hardly noticeable. Its been well over a year with many miles and everythings OK.

Reply to
alltogethermorris2

Reply to
EasyE

Thanks for the advice. EasyE, which set of springs did you go with? what was the cost? did this raise the rear height of your truck enough that you had to also raise the front?

Reply to
matthew.dunbar

On a vehicle that old, you should replace springs in axle sets.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There's definitely an issue with Toyota's leaf springs. On my 1998, I replaced them fist at about 25,000 miles (warranty), then again last summer at about 90,000 miles (I paid - and was that ever a royal corn holing!). As soon as Toyota's pissy little one year warranty runs out, I'm going with NWOR leafs. I already have NWOR coils in the front so it will be a perfect match. NWOR says their springs make the truck sit a little higher. So do their coils. SO in the end it will all work out fine.

Reply to
Karl Rove

Toyota stuff aside, Karl, are you gonna resign soon or what??

Reply to
Rick Morris

Why? I can keep looting and stealing with impunity right under everyone's faces. Besides, if I quit, then we'd have no pResident.

: >

: >

: >

: : Toyota stuff aside, Karl, are you gonna resign soon or what?? :

Reply to
Karl Rove

I think the springs for the pair were like 250.... I went with the 1 1/2 in lift since I ended up lifting the whole thing.. But you can get standard height springs from them... I would suggest the Soft-Ride series, because I got the heavy duty ones and it rides like a tank..

faces. Besides, if I quit, then we'd have no pResident.

Reply to
EasyE

Well, can you at least stop trying so hard to look like Rush Limbaugh's long lost brother??

Reply to
Rick Morris

Sorry. All us reich wing girly boys have that same mushy albino couch potato body style

: > : >

: > : >

: > : >

: > : : > : Toyota stuff aside, Karl, are you gonna resign soon or what?? : > : : >

: >

:
Reply to
Karl Rove