98 tacoma problem after sitting parked for weeks

I recently went away for business and left my '98 Tacoma V6 4x4 5spd parked for 2.5 weeks.

Upon returning I started it up, all seemed fine. I put it in reverse and started to release the clutch pedal and there was resistance. Almost as if the brake calipers had all seized up. I tried it again reving the engine to 4000 RPM and releasing the clutch further. Then the car jolted backwards, apparently breaking free. Since then I have driven about 100 miles no problem.

Is this more likely a brake problem or some kind of drivetrain problem? Should I be concerned?

The truck has 130k miles, I have owned it since 70k miles. As far as oil, I only change the engine oil regularly. What other areas on the drivetrain need oil replacement for a manual transmission?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Reply to
mDunbar

Did you have the parking brake set while it was sitting? If so, brakes sound like a reasonable suspect. Otherwise not.

At the very least, the differentials and transfer case fluids need to be changed (roughly every 30K miles). Lots of lube points that normally appreciate a bit of grease, too. Even the cheapie Haynes / Chilton manuals will give you the lube schedule and procedures.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Sounds like the park brake has seized probably a mix of moisture and pressure and time nothing to worry about if all drives well. Joe

Reply to
Jodabo

You got rust on the disks and that causes some break pads to stick to the surface of the disks. You may also have corroded and pitted pistons in your brake calipers.

You need to read the owner's manual. s>

Reply to
M. Cantera