'98 Tacoma rusting Chrome bumper.

The chrome on the bumper on my '98 Tacoma (4WD, V6) is starting to bubble and rust through. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any idea on cost to repair?

Thanks!

Cheers, J

Reply to
JS

I know down here in Californa the usual thing is to buy a new one and toss the old one in the landfill, but maybe it's cheaper to have it worked on and rechromed at one of those metal works. It can be costly because of handling of spent wastes, but it's cheaper then a new one I would think. I know Canada has more relaxed standards involving heavy metals. Have to ask, they salt the roads up there in winter?

JS wrote in news:MHHMe.76063$Ph4.2382514@ursa- nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Reply to
1 of the Masses

Hi, The only thing you can do is replace the bumper. When the chrome bubbles it has already rusted through from the inside, Scott

Reply to
zonie

Yup - no lack of salt on the roads here in the winter time.

1 of the Masses wrote:

Reply to
JS

JS

This is my personal opinion, and I hope I don't get flamed to death, but they ought to shoot the bastards who dump salt on the roads. Great for the environment, great for anything that can corrode, and oh, yes, demonstrated efficiency in making roads safer. As a sub-cabinet position in EPA for 12 years, with a several rooms full of documentation on the horrendous effects of salt application, I would glad shoot the bastard who dreamed this up. To think in the US we terrorize the individual and companies (small companies) for supposed violations of the Clean Water Act but bless it as holy to dump thousands of tons of salt into the environment in a region yearly. I also think a clas action suit against the jurisdiction (s) and agencies for conversion of property is totally appropriate, too. But hey, what do I know?

BTW: Zonie was spot on. I asked around today about your bumper situation and the shops I talked to said that when the chrome comes up in blisters like that, buy a new one.

I'm just full of good news, huh?

JS wrote in news:Ha5Ne.76755$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Reply to
1 of the Masses

You are the full of good news! ;-)

We clearly over salt the roads here. If people would buy winter tires, drive with common sense and stay home when conditions are poor then the over salting would be needed. Not only is their the environmental damage but the huge cost associated with it as well.

There are some areas that have water (lake/wells) near-by where salting isn't permitted and only sand is used.

Thanks for the bumper info!

1 of the Masses wrote:

Reply to
JS