99 4runner with poor fuel economy

my wife has a 99 4 runner. seems to be doing poorer on fuel economy than when we bought it a few yrs ago. getting 14-16 mpg. is this normal? changed air filter, and plugs which seemed to make no difference. any suggestions on what to look for for poor fuel economy appreciated.

Reply to
Don

Have you changed the fuel filter? 02 sensors? Any change in driving habits or where you regularly purchase fuel? Does she idle a lot?

I have a 96 4cyl 5spd. I noticed a definite decline in fuel economy between regular use of a major brand fuel (Chevron- and I always use 87 octane) and my local Navy base's cheap fuel (any octane)- a difference between 16mpg vs

19-20mpg. I've kept records of every fill for the last 5 years and that was the only significant decline in mileage I could see. Whether I drive lots of in town short distance, stop and go, or mountain road or open highway, I've not seen more than 1-2mpg difference unless I used poor quality gasoline. In fact, since I started winding up the RPM's more before I shift (driving more aggressively) I've gotten better mileage *grin*.

I've yet to replace a fuel filter or 02 sensor, but if my mileage hit

14-16mpg consistently after being so decent, I'd be checking those out after the air filter and plugs.
Reply to
Pookerz

On a V6 or 4 cyl. Not bad for the V6 with auto trans and normal driving. After changing plugs disconnect the battery to force the computer to reset. That may improve it. Is power less? Catalytic converter could becoming cloughed. Replace thermostat if never done (use OEM) - it might not be heating up to right temp. Ass Techron FI cleaner to gas incase injectors are sticking.

Reply to
Wolfgang