99 Tacoma Front Disc Brake Repair

All,

Looks like the front brakes are pretty rusted out. I'm going to need to replace the rotors, brake pads, and brake caliper pins. Can anyone suggest a good source for the parts? How about suggestions on whether or not I should do the work myself?

Thanks, Ben

Reply to
Ben Heard

Disc Brakes are easy, and you may not need to replace much at all.

The rotors can probably be easily turned; if you simply have a rust patina, you could even just drive that off.

brake pads are simple drop-in replacement. Buy the OEM (or OEM-like) semi-metallic pads; do not use the cheaper aftermarket organic pads.

I don't recall if the 99 needs a tool to retract the piston or not; if not, you can easily compress them with a piece of metal and a C-clamp. If your brake fluid resevoir is full, remove some fluid so that it doesn't overflow.

caliper bolts/pins/etc: can usually be cleaned up with emory cloth and a bit of penetrating oil.

Grease the hubs, bearings, and spindle while you're there. Figure 15-30 minutes to get all the parts off; half an hour for the rotors to be turned at your local shop; 30-60 minutes to put it all back together and repack everything with grease.

Put a small bit of grease or anti-sieze on the bolts before torquing down the lugnuts, this will make it easier to remove them in the future if you live in a rust-prone area.

Recheck the lug nuts after driving 25-50 miles.

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

Don't forget to use some Brake Kleen on the rotors once you have everything together. Touching the rotors, especially with greasy hands, leaves residue and affects brake performance.

DougH

Reply to
DougH