AC problem

1995 4Runner

I've had two auto shops try to figure this one out. AC works great on short trips. After about 45 (roughly) minutes of driving the AC just goes out, abruptly, as if I turned it off. But the compressor is still running. It has recently been charged and checked again.

I'm beginning to think that this is related to the outside temperature. It seems to operate for up to a few hours if the outside temperate is below 80 or so, but if it is warmer, it simply shuts off completely sooner.

After it cools for a couple of hours, the AC works very well again.

TIA AG2

Reply to
ag2

|| 1995 4Runner || || I've had two auto shops try to figure this one out. || AC works great on short trips. After about 45 (roughly) minutes of || driving the AC just goes out, abruptly, as if I turned it off. But || the compressor is still running. It has recently been charged and || checked again. || || I'm beginning to think that this is related to the outside || temperature. It seems to operate for up to a few hours if the || outside temperate is below 80 or so, but if it is warmer, it simply || shuts off completely sooner. || || After it cools for a couple of hours, the AC works very well again. || || TIA || AG2

if your outside humidity is 0, your AC has a hard time working to full potential... IIRC...

Reply to
RedForeman ©®

Your evaporator could be icing up. I've had this problem in the past; I'd notice on longer trips it would quit working so on a whim I turned it off and turned the heat on. After a couple of minutes of little air flow, it would blow cool until the ice melted, then it would blow hot, so I'd cut the A/C on again and it'd work for like 45 mins until it iced up again. Mine was low on freon - a recharge took care of the problem. Just a thought, Slik

Reply to
slikrikd

| > I've had two auto shops try to figure this one out. | > AC works great on short trips. After about 45 (roughly) minutes of | driving | > the AC just goes out, abruptly, as if I turned it off. But the compressor | > is still running. It has recently been charged and checked again. | >

| > I'm beginning to think that this is related to the outside temperature. | It | > seems to operate for up to a few hours if the outside temperate is below | 80 | > or so, but if it is warmer, it simply shuts off completely sooner. | >

| > After it cools for a couple of hours, the AC works very well again. | >

| > TIA | > AG2 | >

| |

Or, it could be almost clogged up with debris, which slows the airflow just enough to cause it to freeze up. On my '87 there is a little board that works with a tempurature probe in the evaporator that cycles the AC on and off. I think this is to keep it from freezing up as I can hear it cycle on cool mornings. It is adjustible by a potentiometer.

Reply to
Jarhead