Adapters for Toyota Pickup Engine Swaps

Hi my name is Don. I have an 88 Toyota 2wd Pickup with a 222RE Motor and it has a bad Head Gasket... I am contemplating doing the 350 SB engine swap too. I have been a Chevy Guy all my life. I use to do engine swaps back when I was young in the late 70's and early 80's. But things were allot simpler back then... All this computers in cars stuff... I love PC's and I build them. But I prefer a good old Truck like my 76 Blazer with a Holley 650 carb to all this wiring and stuff that you can't even trace to where it came from or where it is going... Why then did I buy a Toyota truck then, you ask? Well, same reason most people in TX buy a Toy truck. The gas mileage!;) Anways, after buying my non running 88 Toyota from a friend. I first had to replace the in Tank Fuel pump. I did some research and found that a Holley 155 LPH Part#: 12-912 Fuel Pump will work great in the Toyota Gas Tank, with power enough for up to 450 HP at 48psi. I'm now glad I used this pump since I may Swap to a 350 Chevy engine. A bit of bad news on my 88 Toyota Pickup. After getting it running with the new Holley fuel pump. I discovered it was over heating. To make a long story short. I discovered it didn't have a thermostat installed. I put on in, but it still overheated. I had the Radiator "Rotted" in an Acid Bath and Cleaned at a local Radiator Shop. But it still overheats. The Radiator shop told me that my worst fears are real. The Head Gasket is about to go:( I don't like the wimpy 4 Banger engine anyways and the Toyota Parts and Labor too for that matter is so much more expensive than for any Chevy I have ever owned... So I may just try making this Truck into something I will like driving... By swapping the 22RE Motor for a Chevy SB 350. I could Take the 350 and Turbo 350 Trans out of my 76 Blazer and use them or I have been pricing old Suburbans for a good deal on basically everything I will need for the swap. I know the 350 into a Toyota Pickup has been done allot. But this is my first engine swap into a Toyota or anything this small for that matter. I would appreciate any advice from seasoned engines swappers out there. I have just been researching this swap for a couple of days, but I have found a company that makes engine swap motor mounts and transmission to engine adapters, along with headers and other stuff too. Their Advanced Adapters and their web page with prices is at

Hope this helps... Thanks, Don

Reply to
Dweb98

(Snipped) ...... I would appreciate any advice from seasoned engines swappers

Heya Don. I hear a lot of swpas these days usung the 4litre Lexus 1UZE Toyota V8. When worked a little they are putting out more HP than the 350 Chevs. They come standard with 6bolt mains, they rev like theres no tomorrow (6400RPM all day everyday reported without dramas) and they are light enough for any toyota trucks. Cheap to buy $600US Ex Japan for Soarer motor with ECU, wiring etc. and you can keep your truck fully Toyota.

Seen a couple here in Australia and they go VERY well. The only issue is that the standard radiators need upgrading for serious 4x4ing, no biggie I thought. Have a think as to what the total costs is gunna be, new Engine, trans, driveshafts, engine mounts, radiator, suspention, braking system (maybe), fuel system, bonnet/crossmember mods, transmission tunnel mods, gear lever mods, speedometer mods, throttle cable mods.

Or go Toyota and use same box, cross members etc. Even the mounts are in the same spot from memory.

I know if I had the cash at the moment thats what Id be doing. And think of the HUGE fuel saving of running an injected 4litre over a carbied 5litre. Economy and power.

Have a look at

for a local one. 4x4 though but same motor.

Reply to
Scotty

Hey Scotty, thanks for the info. That is one Sweet 4 Runner. I did a quick lookup on Google for 1UZE V8, but I didn't find any for sale around my area in TX, USA... I'm sure someone has one for sale in TX somewhere though. I had considered a Toyota V8, but so far anything Toyota for sale I have found in the US is extremely expensive. I had to pay $100 US dollars for a fuel gauge sending unit from the local Toyota dealer just to fix my fuel gauge... And like I mentioned befor, I only had to pay $75 for the Holley Fuel Pump... So I don't know... What other vehicles does the 1UZE Toyota V8 come in? Maybe I could find a wrecked one... But still, there's the wiring harness to mess with and a motor that I know nothing about. That's the beauty of a Chevy SB, they are a dime a dozen here and I have been working on them for over

30 years, so I know then inside and out... I think I can get about 20mpg with a carb motor and more with a Fuel Injected Chevy 350. What kind of mileage does the 1UZE Toyota V8 get? Oh Ya, and then there's fact that I am a Die Hard Chevy Guy!;) I plan on calling my Truck the ChevYota;) Thanks, Don
Reply to
Dweb98

Oh Ya, and I have a group for 1988 Toyota Pickups at

, come and join andinvite your buddies, k? Don

Reply to
Dweb98

I just found a page with allot of info at

Don

Reply to
Dweb98

(snipped)

I know that the mileage is better than the 3VZE V6. Not sure exactly but

400ish Kms per 60litres is easy from all accounts. That motor came in the Lexus, Soarer and Windom I think. Try something like a Japanese wrecker that willing to send it to you. I know that for $1500 AUD i can buy a while front cut. SO Id imagine that you should be in for $1,000US max. I do know that they are very very reliable.

They even stick em in Mazda Miatas (MX5s)

I'm sure that the Toyota would be better on fuel than any carbied 350. It all depends on how heavy ya right foot it I suppose.

I know Dave (Owner of the 4runner on that site) would let ya know what the economy is, he's very helpful and knowledgeable

Reply to
Scotty

I was gonna recommend Downey Off-Road, but I guess you already found it. NWOR also has parts for a Chevy engine swap.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

They've been putting 5.0L Mustang engines in the Miatas for the last ten years.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

TOM