adjust valves on 90 model 4runner with 3.0V6 engine

Recently I bought a 90 model 4Runner that is supposed to had the engine rebuilt. The guy made the mistake of leaving the shop with it not running right. Very sluggish and hard to start. When he called the shop back they did say bring it back, but he had no confidence they could ever fix it so he sold it to me and took a big loss.

Thought I knew what was wrong. Thought they had the timming belt off a notch, but I was wrong. Timing belt is right, but valves are toooo tight. They run from 0 clearence to .006. None are within spec.

Does anyone know of a way to adjust these without pulling the heads? Does anyone know of an after market source for the shims? Shims are $13 apiece at the toyota dealership.

charles

Reply to
charles bridges

You could try partsdinosaur.com, that's where I got parts for my 22R. If Rock Auto or NAPA, does not have it, it's definitely a "Dealer Only" part.

Reply to
Rastamon

I do not know of an aftermarket source but I would start out by rearranging the shims you have to see if any are at the correct height before buying a bunch of new ones. The machine shop I use in Glendale Arizona trims the valve stems when they do a set of heads for me and I never have to get shims. This can only be done with the heads out though. Where are you located? I've got a set of rebuilt 91 heads in the garage and also a complete 91 3.0 engine that has about 40K on it since a full rebuild but I think lost a valve because compression dropped in the #3 cylinder. I'm located in the Phoenix AZ area.

Reply to
Handyman

Reply to
Amiga