air conditioner leaking water into foot wells

My 2001 Tacoma V-6 leaks water from under the dash into the footwells when the AC is run for a while. Any ideas where this is coming from and how to fix? Thanks.

Josh

Reply to
philodog

Sounds like your drain tube is clogged. It's supposed to drain through a tube and out through the firewall. Maybe the tube is disconnected or clogged.

Reply to
Dan G

The drain tube is either blocker or disconnected.

Up near the passenger compartment, under the truck, there is a tube that runs from the condenser. Check that to see if it is blocked.

Reply to
Dave

I've had this happen on several vehicles. My Wrangler seems to do it every year. Compressed air works well to unclog the tube.

Be careful sticking anything into the tube that could break off or cut the tube. Don't ask how I know that.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

your A/C evaporator core drain is stopped up. Look for a small rubber hose on the passenger side firewall. Take a small object about the diameter of a section of coat hanger and insert into the hose to unclog the drain hose. You should see some water come out. Start car and turn on AC and let it run a while to verify AC is draining properly out of this hose. I would also make sure to dry out the carpet inside the car.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

There is a drain hose that is plugged.

You are looking for a hose about the size of one of the vacuum hoses in the engine bay(I'll estimate the diameter to be about 3mm to 5mm), and made of pretty much the same kind of rubber. It will poke through the firewall (floor) to the outside.

I had your problem once and found a carpet hairball was stuck inside. It was sort of a bitch, but I seem to recall pulling the hose into the passenger comparment and using a short length of coat hanger to push the hairball out. The bitch part of the job was poking the hose through the firewall again.

What you have is a drip tray under the evaporator. The evaporator generates moisture that falls into the tray and flows out the hose. Except for where the drip is flowing to, the rest of your symptom is completely normal.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" found these unused words:

Have to do this every other year with my 2002 DC

... or even worse, pushing too far up and damaging the coils.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Much thanks to everyone. The problem has been fixed!

Reply to
philodog

Someones kicked the drain tube off. Locate and reattach with a dab of silicon

Reply to
Scotty