Air Flow Meter

I have a 92 4Runner V6 with approx 155,600miles, According to the dealer the Air Flow Meter is going bad. I recently noticed that my Check Engine Light was going off and on. At this moment it is not on. Anyway I took it in to the dealer, they stated that there were 2 "soft Codes." The First was a "No Crank Start." They explained that means it takes a long time of the engine cranking before it starts. The 2nd was the "Air Flow Sensor." The dealer stated that the 2nd problem maybe related to the 1st. They quoted me the price of the Air Flow Meter: approx. $600.00

Yikes!!!! Don't know if I would like to spend that much on my beloved

4Runner. But If I put a cold Air Intake would I be bypassing the Air Flow Meter?

Is there any other suggestions out there That I can do?

Reply to
Emmanuel Perez

Emmanuel,

You really can't bypass the airflow meter, as it is connected to the computer. Try E-bay or a junkyard to pick up an airflow meter. You should be able to pick one up for under $100.00.. This meter should be the same for all 4-runners and pick-ups from 89 - 95.

Tony

Reply to
1992 Toyota Xcab

These are very easy to test with an ohm meter. As such, I would verify for myself that it is actually bad before I replaced it. Also, I think you can check diagnostics yourself on that year vehicle by jumping the right terminals on the diagnostic port (procedure has been posted here before and is on the web.)

If it is bad, I agree with the fellow who says to go with a junk yard or ebay. There are always one or two folks parting out 4Runners on ebay - you can email one of them and ask if they still have the mass flow meter to sell. I wouldn't pay too much for a used one but also wouldn't worry about it wearing out soon after purchase. These are solid state devices that can last for quite some time (I recently checked my '88 with 296K and it is perfectly within spec.)

Let me know if you need to resistance specs to check the meter yourself.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Yep! Been there: Done that! My AFM went bad at about that mileage.

The 3VZN-E has a different ("rarer") AFM than the 22RN-E. So, the more common 22RN-E won't work, even though it will "fit".

You will need a FSM and a multi meter. The FSM ("Factory Service Manual") has the ohm readings for a "good" AFM. The multi meter will allow you to measure the resistance ("ohms").

I took the multi meter and a copy of the specs and spent an afternoon at the local UPullIt. The actual AFM (sans ducting) is (visually) identical on MANY Toyotas (and some Subarus!). (Look in the "sedan" section - "trucks" are rare and quickly stripped!)

I found that the AFM from a FWD "16 Valve" 4 cylinder Corolla(?) ohmed-out to the specs for a 3VZN-E AFM!

The cost was $15 (+$1 "admission" - cheaper-than-the-movies), and it's worked fine every since (`2 years).

'89 4Runner 3VZ-E (214K miles)

Reply to
Ms. Manners