Any Comments About the FJ Cruiser?

Has anyone on the list tested an FJ Cruiser yet? Has anyone on the list bought one yet?

I haven't gotten a chance to look at one up close yet, but from what I see and read it looks interesting. I understand it uses a shortened

4Runner frame. If that's true, then the only thing that's new is the body, which should remove the "first model year" curse so many new releases seem to suffer. Most of the bugs should already have been taken care of.
Reply to
TOM

I took one for a burn - liked it, the interior was ok and seemed nicely set up for cleaning etc... seemed to have enough power though not as much as my Tundra. Handled nicely... I just took it out for 10 mins... i understood it was built on a modified Prado chassis rather than the

4runner.

I don't love the looks, I had the original FJ40 Diesel and loved it - I would have preferred a re-release of that vehicle with some modernization. (Loved that FJ40)!!!

Reply to
smoked salmon

Thanks for the info. After I posted the original message, I went to the FJ site (the URL I posted) and was looking through the presentation. They mentioned the Prado frame. Is the Prado a European-only or everywhere but the USA vehicle? I guess I should do a Google search, eh?

Ah, a Land Cruiser!

Toyota makes a lot of really neat vehicles we never see in the USA. Like the Brutus line in South Africa...

TOM

Reply to
smoked salmon

Reply to
KaiS.

I like the looks and features but am not impressed with the gas mileage. Who knows how high gas will go? I heard as much as $2.20 higher next year.

Might as well keep my 4-runner. It gets the same mileage and runs on regular gas.

Reply to
grinder

MPG I find acceptable for the performance and size, but of course we would all love to see it raised. I also think the price is in line with the performance, compared to other Toyotas.

I love the looks and the off road performance capabilities. Driving/riding in the front seat is fantastic with the forward & side visibility and spaciousness. Getting into and riding in the back seat is for youths or adult contortionists only. The spare tire position blocks the majority of the rear view from the inside mirror. Definitely fun to drive.

Recommendations:

Stretch the wheelbase at least another 8-10 inches, to increase the rear seat area, allow adults to climb through the rear seat passenger doors, and increase the rear storage area.

Move the spare tire to the roof, with a swing-down mount assembly. This would allow the rear doors to be redesigned to be more "trailer-friendly". As it stands now, you would have to completely disconnect most trailers in order to open the rear door on the FJ.

Increase the colors available.

Optional larger engine for those of us who want to have fun, and need to tow heavy loads. A larger engine would make this a great alternative to not only other less-capable SUV's, but also make it an alternative for many people to get away from having to own pickup trucks.

Reply to
jim menning

This would drastically change the off-road performance. Think "Breakover angle".

4Runners, Highlanders, and Rav4s have better back seats if that's what you need.
Reply to
B A R R Y

Or just buy a Land Cruiser...

It is what it is. If they make it wider, longer, taller, (heavier) etc., then it wouldn't be an FJ anymore... :>))

Reply to
TOM

My kids like Rav4, due to the 2nd row can be tilted.

Reply to
dbmethods