Any T100 Owners Here?

I just purchased a '95 Toyota T100 extended cab 4x4 pickup, for the princely sum of $2500. The seller started at $4500, but my mechanic found a couple of grand worth of needed repairs, and the seller -- a good, honest guy, just trying to sell his truck -- came down commensurately. Since it included a color-matched topper, in excellent shape, I feel like a got a fair deal.

With 189,000 miles on it, I drove it straight from the seller's to the shop, where we installed a couple of new tires, new front brakes, a timing belt, water pump, and accessory belt, to the tune of $650.

The next day I took it to the transmission shop, where a new clutch and driveshaft were the order of the day. The clutch replacement was straight-forward enough, but the rear driveshaft has proven to be a real bear.

They thought it would just require a new carrier bearing, but the tranny end was found to be egg-shaped, and non-repairable. They have since located a "used" driveshaft at a salvage yard in Kentucky, which is being Fed Ex'd here tomorrow, but it, too, may require work. We'll just have to see.

Either way, I'll end up with a great truck (absolutely no rust, even on the frame -- remarkable in the Midwest) for less than $4500, which I think is about as good as it's going to get.

I've done a few web searches, and found that the T100 has something of of a "cult" following amongst 4-wheelers. Can anyone clue me in on the strengths and weaknesses of the line?

Thanks,

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 T100

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

I just was taken to task in another newsgroup for posting a Wikipedia link, but in both cases the information was correct as far as I can see. I almost bought a T-100 before settling on the '99 Taco I have now. Read here:

The Taco was newer,cleaner with less miles than the T-100 or I probably would have theT-100 now.

Reply to
Jarhead

Thanks for the info, Jarhead. I bought this truck to serve strictly as a knock-around truck for our business (a small hotel), and to serve as a fuel truck for our airplane. (Our plane burns car gas, and getting the gas safely to the airport is always a problem. A fuel transfer tank in the back of a pickup does the trick nicely.)

I'm really eager to get the thing out of the shop, but they can't seem to get the "new" driveshaft in. It was supposed to arrive today from Kentucky, but (of course) it did not. It won't be done till after Christmas now, of course.

I'd like to deduct 5% from my bill for every day past their promised delivery date...

Anyway, it seems like a great truck. Since we put very few miles on it, I suspect it will serve us for many years to come -- once we get it back!

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA Pathfinder N56993

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Hi Jay, I think you'll like it. I have a 96 4WD X-Cab, 3.4 Auto. It just turned 408K last week. Most everything's original except shocks, brakes and tires. Only time the motor's been opened was for the 2nd generation head gaskets recall at 70K. Daily driver, I work construction, it's sitework style off-road about every day, no rock climbing though. While I wouldn't pull a large boat or camper, it handles utility and landscape trailers just fine. Enjoy, Bill W

Reply to
Bill Wolcott

No timing belt replacement? Should be done every 70K according to the manual.

Reply to
Jarhead

No timing belt replacement? Should be done every 70K according to the

Yeah, I know. Just trying to see how long it'll last. >g< It's a non-interference engine and I've got AAA. Bill W

Reply to
Bill Wolcott

| > -- | > Jarhead | | Yeah, I know. Just trying to see how long it'll last. >g< | It's a non-interference engine and I've got AAA. | Bill W | | -- | Hockey on the radio - "Tverdovsky over to Kostopoulos, now to Visnovsky, | intercepted by Nobokov." It's like a Russian novel book-on-tape. |

Good Luck!

Reply to
Jarhead

Thanks for the response, Bill. 408K miles! Man, mine is hardly broken in! :-)

Just pray you don't need to replace a rear driveshaft, ever. My truck is STILL in the shop, where it's been since they replaced the clutch back on 12/20.

I knew the driveshaft and clutch were going bad when I bought the truck (per my regular mechanic's diagnosis), so I took it in to a reputable local transmission shop. They sent the driveshaft to a shop in Cedar Rapids to be refurbished, while they worked on replacing the clutch.

Unfortunately the shop in CR found my driveshaft to be beyond repair.

So, this shop located a used driveshaft in Kentucky, but when it arrived (after several days wait) it was found to be the wrong part. (The shaft for the automatic tranny is apparently different than the one I need for the 5-speed manual.)

There is now another driveshaft on the way from South Dakota. It's supposed to be here tomorrow or Friday.

Heck, I'll be happy if I actually get to drive this truck before

2007... Oh, well -- the price is right.

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

1995 Toyota T100 Extended Cab 4x4
"Your Aviation Destination"