Any Timing Belt Warning Before Failing??

Hi,

I have a 2000 Tacoma 4WD, S5 with ~89k on it. I understand that the timing belt should be changed at the 90k servicing. I have also seen a few posts on this ng where folks have removed the timing belt at 95k and they remark that it still looks new.

I want to trade the truck in for a new Corolla (gas mileage decision) but I'm wondering if there will be any warning signs when the timing belt will begin to fail. Or is it a catastrophic sudden failure and the engine just stops. I plan to trade it in about 3 months and because of my geographic location, I drive about 2500 miles a month. This will change after I trade the truck in for the Corolla.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

There's no warning. It just suddenly fails. If you have a non- interference engine, the engine will just stop. If you have an interference engine, serious engine damage (e.g. bent valves) usually occurs. The belt is a fiber material. Each time the engine stops or starts, the fibers are subject to a sharp impulsive acceleration or deceleration which stresses and weakens the fabric. Once the belt gets weak enough, it will suddenly break typically during starting or stopping the engine but it could happen when running also. The recommended change interval needs to be followed. You can run it a bit longer particularly if the engine has seen mostly highway miles and not a lot of stop and go driving. But running too much beyond the recommended interval is asking for trouble. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

Thanks, Al,

I will heed your good advice.