Anyone had this problem 96 4runner brakes

My 96 Runner SR5 4WD driving when all of the sudden loud noise from rear, brake pedal dropped to floor then returned was "spongy", then took to dealer took off rear wheels both sides shoes were blown apart, tech said first time he ever saw anything like it charged me $375.00 to replace shoes,turn drums,bleed brakes,and replace backing bolts! Told me maybe emergency brake slides froze and caused this problem what do you think? Thank You Email: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Tbas11048

I suppose it depends on what he meant by "froze". Seized or was covered in ice?

If Toyota hadn't redesigned the emergency brake cabling system by '96 then it is very possible the emergency brake cable froze in place. I believe it even says in the owner's manual to not use the emergency brake in situations where it might freeze. I've had it happen on my '85 4Runner more than once. When it did, the brake wouldn't release until I grabbed the brake cable in the rear and jerked it around to break the ice off. I suppose it would be possible for the emergency brake to stay engaged and have the brakes heat up, but it seems like you would have noticed the change in the brakes while driving.

Chris

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie