Auto door locking on 2006 Tacoma?

Does anyone know if the doors should automatically lock on a 2006 Tacoma pre runner when putting it in gear? I guess I have gotten used to that feature on my other autos, and noticed that my new truck doesn't do that. No mention in the owners manual, and I haven't called the dealer yet. I thought someone on here might know.

Thanks Jaminn aka Don Williams

Reply to
jaminn

Jim Todd

As far as I know my '06 Tacoma V6 4x4 doesn't have this feature either.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Sounds like a feature that could become really annoying. Were any of your other vehicles Toyotas?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

A number of Toyotas have that feature -- the Tundra and Sequoia for sure...probably quite a few others. It's configurable -- I have mine set to lock the doors once I put the tranny in "Drive", but there are other options, including "dammit -- let me do it myself".

Reply to
Andy Hill

My 06 4runner does have the locks, and according the manual, it can be set to lock at 20 MPH or when you put it in drive... T. Hale.

Reply to
Tman

Auto locking doors certainly are annoying to me.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Yeah...I'm imagining various scenarios which would make me want to have a conversation with its inventor, probably behind my garage with a baseball bat. :)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I want the people who invented auto-retracting harnesses!

I *always* wear my belts, and God, I hated those things! They grabbed me several times when I opened the door and leaned forward to grab something. I'm so happy they didn't catch on...

Reply to
Bonehenge

My daughter's '02 PreRunner didn't lock the doors until the alarm system was installed. My '95 Bronco locks the doors, but it does it through the alarm system. My guess is you need to have an alarm system installed. If you already have one, then it needs to be programmed for the feature you want.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

No, first Toyata. My wife's Impala auto locks the doors. Also, my Pontiac van did. I guess I just got used to it. I didn't really find it annoying. One thing that is interesting is that if I use the remote to unlock the doors, but don't open it, it will relock itself. I find it strange that it will do that but not lock the doors when the vehicle is moving. Jaminn aka Don Williams

Reply to
jaminn

My 06 Tacoma has the VIP Security System installed and it still doesn't autolock. I guess I'd need to check with the dealer to see if that's an option or not.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

It should be something that can be programmed. Ours are aftermarket systems -- I don't know what my daughter's is, mine is a Karr -- and they have this feature as one that can be programmed on or off. Have you checked the manual? (just a thought ...)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland